Ningura Napurrula (1938 – 2013) was born at Watulka, south of the modern Kiwirrkura community in Western Australia, and was one of Australia’s leading indigenous artists.
Ningura Napurrula was the widow of the late Yala Yala Gibbs Tjungurrayi, a highly respected Pintupi elder. her first contact with Western society was in 1962 when she and Yala Yala brought their family to Papunya. By 1963, they had moved permanently to the settlement. In the 1980s Ningura Napurrula moved with Yala Yala and their family to Kintore where she started helping with the background dotting on Yala Yala’s artwork, collaboration being a common practice with aboriginal artists. In 1995, as part of the Kintore/Haasts Bluff women’s painting project, she started doing her own artwork.
Characteristic of her work is a strong dynamism created by rich linear designs made with heavy layers of acrylic paint. Her depictions include the stories associated with the rockhole sites of Wirrulnga and Palturunya, east of Kiwirrkurra.
Her work is represented in all Australian National galleries and in one of Europe’s most important public museums, Musee du quai Branly, Paris.
Please Note: This Artist passed away in 2013 and out of respect for Aboriginal culture, we have removed the photograph of this Artist holding this artwork from our website.